It being a rainy Saturday morning, I decided to update this website. First, I upgraded to the latest version of WordPress (v 2.5) which was set loose into the wild just this week. I’ve been having a few glitchy problems with this site that I had hoped 2.5 would fix. The new admin interface and multimedia capabilities look very slick. I’ll have to play around with them a bit before I decide how much of it I’ll actually use.
I also decided to change the appearance of the site. Laura really liked the Kandinsky print I use on the old theme, but I figured something else was in order. I’m still tweaking a few things, such as how to get my photos to show up the way that I like.
Overall, the transition is going smoothly. Some items from the old theme may not work in the new version just yet, but I’m sure I’ll have it all sorted out shortly. In the meantime, consider this the new look for the site.
And on another note, my first blog post was almost exactly five years ago. The first blog was a bit of ASP hand-coding with a Microsoft Access database. It was incorporated into a rambling mess of a website called Taylor Digital Arts. Random Connections got started a year later before we took our cross-country drive to Washington State. The first version of Random Connections used the same ASP code I had written for my first blog. In fact, I just imported those blog entries into the new database, combining the two. It didn’t take long for me to realize that my coding skills are not what they should be, so I switched over to WordPress and never looked back.