A post bordering on TMI…
These lessons are probably not much different than those dealing with adolescent braces. However, I think the choice of foods and situations would be quite different.
- Install a food disposal unit in your bathroom. Either that, or brush your teeth over the kitchen sink.
- The Water Pic is the greatest invention ever. (I stopped short of using my pressure-washer for fear of removing gums and enamel.)
- Pay attention to the “List of Foods to Avoid” that the orthodontist gives you.
- To that list, add the following:
- Pad Thai
- Bacon Bits
- Deep-Fried Pita Points
- You have your choice of embarrassments during meals – picking your teeth or displaying a variety of cuisine every time you smile.
- Between the foods you’re not eating and the amount of food that get stuck in your braces, you’ll start to lose weight.
- Wax is your friend. However, remember to remove it before drinking hot coffee in the morning.
- Advil is almost as friendly as wax.
- Playing the trumpet isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Or, at least, no worse considering I hardly played it before braces.
- Whistling is impossible.
- People just aren’t very interested in (or sympathetic with) the problems you’re having with your braces.